Tuesday, December 11, 2007

OMM: The Things We Learn

It's always interesting, the things we learn about our patients. Today we had a couple in their seventies come in as new patients, and the wife was quite a character. She believes that taking estrogen for her heart and bones gave her breast cancer and that cortisol caused the bottom of her husband's sternum to flip out (he has a bony protuberence under his sternum; it's pretty interesting). Even more amazing, she surfs the web a lot in her spare time and is in the know about all things on the internet. Today, for example, she taught me how to download videos from YouTube (which I always thought was impossible). I'm not going to do that, though; YT videos are fun to watch but I'm not going to resort to downloading something that doesn't belong to me.

This afternoon we had a 1st year, David F, come here to do part of his preceptorship. There will be two 1st year students coming in and out this week, and because Heather accidentally overbooked, those two students and I will all be present on Thursday. I don't know how that's going to happen; I can see patients on my own pretty well, but the 1st years need to be with Dr. KB or Melanie for optimal learning experiences. I did let David palpate a patient's cervical spine so he could get an idea of how to diagnose (the 1st years haven't done cervicals yet), so I think I'd make a very good person to learn from =)

No comments: