Sunday, June 14, 2009

New Beginning

I've been in Philadelphia for almost a week now, and I'm finally starting to settle down in my new home. My apartment, which was frightfully bare when I first moved in (I didn't bring any of my own furniture), now looks much homier with a bed, TV plus stand, square table and chair, a floor lamp, and a sofa bed (which I bought from Ikea and built all by myself; that was an accomplishment on my part). There's a lot of furniture I'd love to buy, but can't because I'd be responsible for moving it and there's only so much I can carry at one time. My place looks like a mess because I still haven't unpacked about 50% of my stuff. No place to put it. Eventually I might build a bookcase for the rest of my junk, but for now, it's staying in the crates.

Last week I had 3 days of EMR training. The first day's EMR was for the main hospital, Hahnemann (henceforth called HUH), which uses something that looks a lot like DOS but is still workable. The other two days dealed with an EMR system used in the clinics. Everyone had to pass the first class before they could proceed to the next class. There were about 15-20 of us in the first class, but on the second day, there were only four of us (me included) who were ready to take the second class; the others had failed (in this case, "fail" = less than 90). I don't think I passed the second class (in which we had to fill out an office note, write orders, assign tasks, etc), but hopefully I won't have to retake it again.

Also to prepare for the winter ahead, I drove to an Ugg outlet store in New Jersey (about 90 min away) and bought a pair of Ugg boots. Now, I would never even think of getting Uggs at home, but the good thing about PA and NJ is that shoes and clothes are tax-free. And my boots, which have a retail value of $180, only cost me $109. Not too shabby.

Orientation starts tomorrow, and I'll also be tested in the practical portion of the BCLS/ACLS. I'm not worried about BCLS, but the online ACLS class I'm taking is really kicking my butt. Hopefully everything will turn out ok tomorrow; I'd hate to be an incompetent doctor.

4 comments:

bgetter said...

Anyone who gives a DOS shout-out is ok by me.

Perpetually Enraged said...

i feel your pain. i have to study for my damn PALS and neonatal resuscitation bc they're giving the tests at the beginning instead of the end.

Cinnamon Bagels said...

Wow is this what is ahead waiting for me? ACLS studying?

Jennifer said...

wow, an online acls course. i'm glad i got that over with at school. taking it online sounds harder. i start orientation tomorrow. can't believe vacation is almost over.