Monday, August 13, 2007

ObGyn Orientation

Today was my first day of ob-gyn at JPS. I didn't realize there was a long walk from the parking garage to the hospital, but luckily a shuttle driver stopped by me and asked if I needed a ride. There are nine of us doing ob-gyn at JPS for the next weeks, and as it turned out, we were all paired up nicely. I'm with Anita, Chris is with Aaron, Marcus is with Jedd (of course), and Sharon, Blakely, and Kimberly make the lone three-person team. Anita and I will have night shift for the rest of the week, meaning I'll have to sleep all afternoon tomorrow if I want to stay awake to deliver placentas (or whatever happens during night shift)


I haven't met the rest of my team yet, but the residents we did meet seemed nice. "It's a white thrombus," one guy joked when we all entered the L&D (labor and delivery) ward, since we were all clad in white coats. We spent the morning in lecture about important things to know in ob-gyn, and when the midwife started talking about the birthing process, Jedd kept nodding his head (having witnessed his wife giving birth back in May), and Marcus told him to stop.


At lunch everyone except Marcus and Jedd went to Junsuree, and we ran into Ryan D and Jeremy there (post-call surgery). We all sat together and exchanged small talk about surgery and pediatrics (which we all just finished). Aaron and Chris were at Odessa together for peds, and Aaron got sick on several occasions (thank goodness none of the kids got me sick...) After lunch, we filled out paperwork, got our IDs made, picked up parking permits, and picked up scrubs. The worst part of it all: the heat. Imagine walking around in 100+ weather wearing a white coat and carrying tons of books (the ob-gyn department gave us a stack of materials at least 6 inches tall and heavy)...yeah. I was getting a headache from all the heat. Maybe working at night won't be so bad after all; at least the sun will be down. Now I just have to adapt to being nocturnal for a week.

No comments: